INDIA

"INDIA is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend and the great grandmother of tradition. Our most valuable and most intructive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only."
-Mark Twain

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Should we act? or silently sit back and watch?

IPL and world cup season.. The cricket mania dominates whatsoever.. chuck out the board exams!! Damn the boards.. How dare u keep the exams when we have the world cups???!! But this post is not really about the cricket fever and its effects.. A new stadium is being built at kochin at the cost of 350crores to accommodate 10 IPL matches and other International matches in coming years. The already present stadium accommodates both football and hockey matches. (Remember maaro maaro song.. The same stadium!! )




I know what makes you think is significant here.. The point is, its being built at the cost of 24acres of Mangrove forests..In addition to that, its being built in a forest area spoiling the wildlife habitat, evacuating local tribal groups etc.. Poor keralites.. Even the opposition party is not supporting to protest against the happening. Money Magic!!  God's own country ????


Do you remember in your day long bus journey from a city to another city involved the travel through the forest routes with shades of trees on the roadside?.. I even remember seeing peacocks and deers on the way to chennai from srirangam!! 
Now where all did all that go?? Either you see new new nagars coming up selling the plots, or a super hi5 tech park coming up!! Now the Travel time reduces.. buses going fast.. roads are awesome.. but... I just think of the trees that were cut down.. the lands that were eaten up... There is absolutely No use in demolishing a forest and setting up a lawn in the median of a highway !!!Trains are even worse.. Indian railway tracks are the best ever dump yards in the world being filled by plastic cups.. Even the faeces can break one day.. But not the plastic cups you throw my dear!!!
uh??? i can hear your voices... Urbanization.. developments, Infrastructure... blah.. blah... blah..and more importantly.. As if I don't add up to this misery or what etc.. ?? Alas..!! lets try thinking logically to an extent than being argumentative.. For a minute, just think... Do you really think these  Urbanization.. developments, Infrastructure could help us life long??


I am not here to conclude this post with a "solution" to advice you!! Its upto us.. the youth.. the sceptic rationalists.. to act on this... What we can do within our limits???? I just pondered over and i took these oaths of late...
  • I will throw off the degradable wastes in my own compost
  • I am going to carry a bag every time I shop
  • I will generate minimum E-Waste.
  • I will not throw off the plastics wherever i see them.
  • I will not waste materials right from food items to papers( ppl evencollect unused papers from hostels and use as rough note!!)
  • I will try to use public transport system as much as i can.
  • I will make my family Eco-Aware!!! 
I am not posting here to kindle you up to change your attitudes overnight.. It's information Age and we are independent thinkers. Analyze you tech-savvy minds!!  :)
My apologies to the readers for the tone and digressions in this blog... I attribute the reasons to live examples I see of late!!
I am here just to reiterate analyze your actions ecologically too the next time you do something.. After all.....

There is no PLANET B!!!!






8 comments:

  1. vaib: again u did it.. i would say.. but a lil bit.. see its urbanisation oly to the damn freakin core.. we rely on luxury man.. like.. wake up.. "live fast" is the motto of the young generation. nobody is ready to wait.. and tat stadium is built and i wud comply to ur words cos it stands no use and there is already a stadium present.. as u said MONEY SPEAKS.. best example wud be that in temples wer special tickets are sold at higher price to see the almighty.. BIASED... "I WISH THERE WAS A PLANET 'B'.. :("

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Vaibhav: Could u plz explain E-wastes???
    Also, do u really think we can make a difference?
    I once used to speak about all this in the tone u jus did... but I'm not very confident now that we cud actually make our planet anything better...
    sorry to be cynical, I've already started embracing the idea of December 21, 2012...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To acheive something someone have 2 face both appreciations and discouragements...whatever the situation we wont let our voice down n vaibhav ll be writing the inspiring things continuosly...no matters whether der ll be a change or not...even it took 400 years for Britishers 2 hear d voie of Indians(i.e. we cannot expect a change overnight, it ll take a huge time)...VAIBHAV CHEERS!!!GREAT MACHAN :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. first off.. let me say this.. you've matured as a writer.. and kudos for the post.. something most of us should be paying attention to now.. believe it or not, during my recent visit to kerala, i was pondering over the same lines as i was travelling in the bus.. i could see lush greenery almost everywhere.. i wondered whether this would still be there 5-10 years down the line.. i still have my doubts.. in a few years down the line, chennai would begin looking like mumbai and kerala like chennai..but i would never call this advancement or urbanization.. the apt word for this is deterioration.. destruction.. and good set of oaths vaibhav.. i shall keep them in mind too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, i wanted this to become a forum for discussion.. Well I am happy if this post makes you think towards this direction.
    E- waste generation is a major problem. When you upgrade your mobile or computer, ever wondered Where those old ones went?? I am using secondary cells as much as i can and I am ensuring the proper disposal of the used adapters and chargers. And As i said overnight change is not possible, I am starting to work for the change and for the society! I seriously know its a big task. Hopefully I can achieve at least something in it. Bother not about the doomsday. that is all i can say..!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Good. I didn't know about the new stadium. Very Bad, about the wildlife and tribes.You are rocking man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey man i think india dum enough to do stuff that huts other... remember the scam about raja for know only some news channels speak about it other shut ther mouth with money........ u r comptely right about the money thing and it is bad to hear about wildlife and tribal thing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Even I too worried about "Conversation of agricultural land for residential purposes". I was day-scholar during my first year of college lyf. Daily I used to njoy greenaries in both sides of road below the orange skies(early morning).. During my final year I used to go home during weekends, those greenaries were gone instead only buildings i can able to see.. I feel How much worst changes the world has brought to environment?? !!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete